Suggested Use: All-natural AllerPhase® is a unique herbal formula designed for individuals sensitive to seasonal and perennial pollens, house dust, molds and pet dander. The proprietary blend of herbal extracts contained in AllerPhase works by supporting the overall health of the respiratory system, especially during seasonal outbreaks that can affect the nose, sinuses and lungs the most. AllerPhase also maintains a healthy immune response to aid in regulating the potential for future exposures.*
Directions: Adults: Take one or two vegetarian capsules, twice daily. Children ages 6 to 12 years: one capsule, one to two times daily.
Exposure to seasonal and perennial pollens, house dust, molds and pet dander often leads to respiratory discomforts, characterized by inflammation (swelling accompanied by exudation of fluids) affecting the eyes, sinuses, nose, throat and upper lung tissues to varying degrees. Traditional Chinese Medicine has historically relied on a selection of time-proven botanicals to work with the body to gently aid in modulating the three progressive stages underlying seasonal respiratory discomforts.
In Stage 1, the body has identified a substance as a potential threat, prompting a specialized class of cells called macrophages to destroy the substance. This in turn, leads the immune system to begin producing immunoglobulin E (IgE). Individuals prone to seasonal respiratory discomfort have been shown to create high levels of IgE antibodies.
In Stage 2, with the next exposure to the substance, the newly created IgE molecules begin to bind with the substance, unleashing a chemical cascade as mast cells begin to degranulate and release histamine and other inflammatory chemicals cytokines, interleukins, leukotrienes, and prostaglandins into the surrounding tissues.
Stage 3 usually occurring 2 to 24 hours after the initial response, is characterized by the influx of additional inflammatory cells, generating a new wave of issues as the newly recruited cells begin secreting chemicals of their own to sustain the inflammatory process.
Nasal and Sinus Congestion
Centipeda, Xanthium, Angelica and Schizonepeta have traditionally been used to support healthy nasal and sinus functions.
- Centipeda (Shi Hu Sui, Herba Centipeda)
Volatile oils from Centipeda have been shown to modulate anti-inflammatory action by inhibition of pro-inflammatory cytokines in rat model. (1) In a related study, Centipeda demonstrated effectiveness against ragweed pollen model by regulating the infiltration of eosinophil and mast cell proliferation. (2)
- Xanthium (Cang Er Zi, Fructus Xanthi)
An active ingredient in Xanthium exhibits significant selective modulation of superoxide anion generation by human neutrophils induced by formyl-L-methionyl-L-leucyl-L-phenylalanine, with an IC50 value of 1.72 mcg/mL. (3)
- Angelica dahurica (Bai Zhi, Radix Angelicae Dahurica)
Methoxy-8-(2-hydroxy-3-buthoxy-3-methylbutyloxy)-psoralen has been shown to regulate the cyclooxygenase-2 (COX-2)-dependent phase of prostaglandin D(2) generation in bone marrow-derived mast cells (IC50, 23.5 mM). In addition, this compound consistently modulated the production of leukotriene C(4), demonstrating the ability to modulate both cyclooxygenase-2 and 5-lipoxygenase activity. Furthermore, this compound also affected the degranulation reaction (IC50, 4.1 mM). (4)
- Schizonepeta (Tai Zi Shen, Flos Schizonepeta Tenuifoliae)
Schizonepeta tenuifolia extracts exhibit immunomodulation of the inflammatory response by regulating cytokine release, specifically the release of Th1 and Th2 cytokines from T cells as well as the unprimed CD4 T cells from differentiating into Th1 and Th2 cells. (5)
Inflammation and Itching
AllerPhase also supports recovery from tissue swelling – an important component of seasonal respiratory issues – by including Fritillaria, Angelica, Paeonia and Platycodon. Another combination of herbs – Centipeda, Fritillaria, Platycodon and Licorice – aid the body by regulating against the accumulation of fluids.
- Fritillaria (Chuan Bei Mu, Bulbus Fritillariae Cirrhosa)
In one study Fritillaria modulated airway inflammation by suppression of cytokines, IgE, histamine production, and eosinophilic accumulation along with increased interferon-gamma production in tests on lung tissue. (6)
- Paeonia (Bai Shao, Radix Paeoniae Lactiflorae)
The root of Paeonia lactiflora has been used frequently in traditional medicines of Korea, China and Japan. Research suggests that constituents in Paeonia lactiflora – paeoniflorin and paeonol – can modulate IgE-induced scratching behaviors and mast cell degranulation. (7)
- Platycodon (Jie Geng, Radix Platycodon Grandiflori)
Platycodon root has been shown to regulate the NF-kappaB pathway, specifically inhibiting the expression of lipopolysaccharide-induced iNOS and COX-2 genes at the transcriptional level. (8)
- Licorice (Gan Cao, Radix Glycyrrhiza Uralensis)
Glycyrrhizin from Glycyrrhiza root has been shown to modulate airway constriction, lung inflammation and infiltration of eosinophils in bronchial areas by stimulating CD4 and CD8 immune cell function. (9)
While many of the herbs in AllerPhase are directed towards supporting a healthy immune response to seasonal respiratory discomforts, AllerPhase also supports overall general immune system function. Paeonia and Pseudostellaria have been shown to promote liver and lung function to support proper, overall immune function. These herbs are likely to be partly responsible for helping to regulate the potential for future episodes of seasonal respiratory discomforts.
The herbs in AllerPhase have a long history of safe use in Traditional Chinese Medicine for seasonal respiratory discomforts. AllerPhase is a non-drowsy formula that doesn’t cause fatigue or fuzzy thinking. And since AllerPhase is not a CNS stimulant the formula does not cause the wired sensation typical of certain OTC preparations.
1. Qin RA, Mei X, Wan L, Shi JL, Shen YJ. Effects of the volatile oil of Centipeda minima on acute pleural effusion in rats induced by an intrapleural injection of car, Zhongguo Zhong Yao Za Zhi. 2005 Aug;30(15):1192-4. PMID: 16201699. 2. Liu ZG, Yu HM, Wen SL, Liu YL. Histopathological study on allergic rhinitis with Centipeda minima, Zhongguo Zhong Yao Za Zhi. 2005 Feb;30(4):292-4. PMID: 15724411. 3. Lee CL, Huang PC, Hsieh PW, Hwang TL, Hou YY, Chang FR, Wu YC., (-)-Xanthienopyran, a new inhibitor of superoxide anion generation by activated neutrophils, and further constituents of the seeds of Xanthium strumarium, Planta Med. 2008 Aug;74(10):1276-9. PMID: 18622908. 4. Hua JM, Moon TC, Hong TG, Park KM, Son JK, Chang HW. 5-Methoxy-8-(2-hydroxy-3-buthoxy-3-methylbutyloxy)-psoralen isolated from Angelica dahurica inhibits cyclooxygenase-2 and 5-lipoxygenase in mouse bone marrow-derived mast cells, Arch Pharm Res. 2008 May;31(5):617-21. PMID: 18481018. 5. Kang H, Oh YJ, Choi HY, Ham IH, Bae HS, et.al., Immunomodulatory effect of Schizonepeta tenuifolia water extract on mouse Th1/Th2 cytokine production in-vivo and in-vitro J Pharm Pharmacol. 2008 Jul;60(7):901-7. PMID: 18549677. 6. Yeum HS, Lee YC, Kim SH, Roh SS, et.al., Fritillaria cirrhosa, Anemarrhena asphodeloides, Lee-Mo-Tang and cyclosporine a inhibit ovalbumin-induced eosinophil accumulation and Th2-mediated bronchial hyperresponsiveness in a murine model of asthma, Basic Clin Pharmacol Toxicol. 2007 Mar;100(3):205-13. PMID: 17309526. 7. Lee B, Shin YW, Bae EA, Han SJ, et.al., effect of the root of Paeonia lactiflora and its constituents paeoniflorin and paeonol, Arch Pharm Res. 2008 Apr;31(4):445-50. PMID: 18449501. 8. Chung JW, Noh EJ, Zhao HL, Sim JS, et.al., Anti-inflammatory activity of prosapogenin methyl ester of platycodin D via nuclear factor-kappaB pathway inhibition, Biol Pharm Bull. 2008 Nov;31(11):2114-20. PMID: 18981583. 9. Brush, Mendenhall E, Guggenheim A, Chan T, Connelly E, et.al., The effect of Echinacea purpurea, Astragalus membranaceus and Glycyrrhiza glabra on CD69 expression and immune cell activation in humans, Phytother Res. 2006 Jun 28, Pubmed ID: 16807880. * These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.