No Gift for Dad Yet? Check Out Our Top-Five Healthy Gift Ideas
Giving your dad a Father’s Day gift that supports a balanced lifestyle is a perfect way to give him something he'll use and feel good about. Here are some ideas to get your wheels turning:
- Companionship: Researchers have found having partners to exercise with can help motivate people to stick to a fitness routine. So, consider getting your dad a gift certificate to a fitness class or helping him find a walking or cycling group. Better yet, invite him to join you on regular walks or hikes.
- Motivation: Fitness trackers are a great exercise-motivator. If your dad's tech-saavy, get him a wearable device or an app for his smart phone or tablet that will monitor his heart rate and give him information about the intensity of his workouts.
- Mindfulness: Consider enrolling your dad in a mindfulness-based stress reduction (MBSR) course. MBSR has been found to reduce anxiety, depression, and stress in people with diabetes and heart disease.
- Flexibility: Help your dad find a yoga class that suits him. There's a growing body of evidence that shows having a regular yoga practice can help reduce stress and improve mood.
- Nourishment: If your dad has diabetes, look for engaging cookbooks that lean toward a Mediterranean diet or a low-glycemic load diet—these diets have a good track record for helping people manage their diabetes. Or, consider gifting him an essential kitchen tool, like a quality chef's knife or a Dutch oven.
Source: Journal of Psychosomatic Research
Copyright © 2020 TraceGains, Inc. All rights reserved.